A colleague recently alerted me to a job posting in my field at Ideal Home State University. I can’t decide if I should apply or not.
On one hand, I should apply because:
- I’d like to be housed in a department of my actual academic discipline (instead of a sub-area, as I am now, meaning that I’d have colleagues who understand and appreciate my research).
- I’d be housed in an academic unit that has support for the type of grantwriting I do. I would most likely have greater support for grantwriting endeavors, and wouldn’t have to answer truly dumb questions about the NIH grant application process.
- It would be a step up in the academic hierarchy, but a reasonable step up for someone with my academic pedigree. This is a place where I’d want to get tenure, but gaining tenure should also be attainable.
- I’d be in my home state and would be surrounded by people who understand my regional accent and idioms.
- After a long period during which nearly all of my friends moved out of state, a few of them are starting to trickle back. We’d have friends again, and we’d get to see them more than once a year!
- My family would be about an hour’s drive away instead of a day’s drive away, making holidays and family emergencies a bit easier on the stress level. We’d also save megabucks on travel.
- We’d be within 1.5 hours of a major international airport.
On the other hand, I shouldn’t apply because:
- Having just one more task on my plate right now might seriously put me over the edge…
- If I was invited to interview for the position, I’d have to do so while 6+ months pregnant.
- If I was successful, I’d be ditching my current department after being here for less than two years, and this makes me look like a skipper.
- If I was successful, we’d have to move with a small infant in tow, and would have to deal with the current local housing market.
- The job market in Home State is really, really bad, so it might be hard for Hubby to find a job there (that being said, it might actually end up being easier because it’s a more metropolitan area than our current location).
I think I’ll go ahead and apply regardless, because opportunities like this don’t come along very often, and the potential benefits definitely outweigh the potential drawbacks.
Academic readers, what else do I need to consider at this point?